Sunday, November 6, 2011

Jack Daniels Honey Ribs & Grilled Peaches

November 5, 2011: LSU #1 vs. Alabama #2. It was an epic gameday. For the first time in history, the #1 and #2 teams of the same conference faced each other during a regular season game. Tickets were going for over $500 a piece, with prime seats selling for $10,000 each.


Naturally, I wasn't willing to pay $375 for a ticket like one of my roommates, so I decided to stay home and get stuff done. But of course, gameday was not as productive as I would have hoped. Instead, I slept in, and then started brainstorming my epic meal. What was I going to cook? As if it was fate, my mom called while I was looking through my "Grill It!" cookbook to tell me about an amazing rib recipe one of her friends had just told her about. So, naturally, that's what I decided to cook. Ribs with Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce and Honey with a side of Grilled Peaches. Mmmm, that sounds good. 


THE RIBS
1. Buy Ribs at the grocery store and cut them into two pieces to make handling easier.

2. Season the ribs with some salt, pepper and either Tony Chachere's (or another Cajun spice) OR salt, pepper, garlic powder and spice (like cayenne pepper).

3. Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil. They need to be wrapped VERY tightly.
-- I wrapped them first in an overly large piece, folding it over itself, rolling it up and crumpling it to seal the ribs.
-- Then I used another normal-sized piece to wrap around it, just to make sure it was perfectly sealed.

4. Put the ribs in the oven for about 2 hours at 325°. The time depends on how many ribs you are cooking.
-- It is smart to put a baking sheet with a piece of foil over it on the rack under the ribs. They may (as mine did) drip, and you don't want juice accumulating in the bottom of your oven. I learned this the hard way.


5. When your ribs are cooked, take them out of the oven and set aside. 
-- While they are cooking, you can make the sauce and light the grill. 


THE RIB SAUCE
6. Combine 1/2 stick (4tbsp) butter and 3-4tbsp honey in a small saucepan. 
-- Heat on medium until the butter is melted and stir until it is well combined. 
-- Pour in 1c of Jack Daniel's Original No. 7 Recipe Sauce. Heat and stir until well combined.
-- Add more honey to your taste (but read the next step before adding more).
-- Set aside to use later.


7. Combine 1/4 stick (2tbsp) butter and 2 tbsp honey in another small saucepan.
-- Heat on medium until the butter is melted and stir until it is well combined.
-- Once your ribs are cooked, cover the ribs in this butter and honey sauce. I used one of the grilling brushes to paint the sauce onto the ribs. 


THE GRILLED PEACHES
8. Pit two peaches and cut into slices. I had about 8 slices per peach, but my peaches were HUGE. Don't make them too thin, but not too fat. 
-- Sprinkle the peach slices with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Not too much, just drizzle!


THE GRILLING
9. Take everything outside to grill! Remember earlier on, perhaps while your ribs are still in the oven and before you make the sauce, to start the grill. Some take longer than others to start. The grill that I use particularly sucks, so I started it about 30 minutes before I wanted to use it to make sure it lit (thanks Cottages...).
-- Put the ribs on the grill without the BBQ sauce (covered in the butter/honey sauce only). Let them cook for about 10 minutes, depending on your grill. 
-- Then brush the BBQ Sauce (infused with honey and butter) onto the ribs. Let them cook for another 10 minutes or so. 
-- Be sure to make sure they don't overcook!
-- Put the peaches on the grill, starting on one side. They do not take long at all too cook. Depending on your grill (remember, mine particularly sucks, so I didn't time them), the cook time will differ.
-- Cook on each side until they have grill marks and start to become a somewhat soft. Flip them over, and cook for the same amount of time.
-- Watch your peaches and make sure they don't get too squishy!
(NOTE: There is also sausage in the picture...I figured why not grill some sausage while I had the grill going!)


ALL DONE! (Om nom nom...)
Enjoy your ribs and peaches, preferable with a nice brew (I chose Shiner Bock - thanks dad!) and an epic game on the TV. Friends and good music would be a nice alternative. 

Happy grilling!


-Soo Coco

P.S. GEAUX TIGERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment